Telephone Page Operator (s)
: Telecommunications - 834100
Hours Per Week:
New England Baptist Hospital,
125 Parker Hill Ave,
Responsible for the effective operation of the Hospital’s main switchboard, computerized paging system and physician’s answering service in a pleasant, courteous manner to project and positive impression to all our callers
Principal Duties & Essential Functions:
- Exemplifies the values of New England Baptist Hospital and the ROSE philosophy.
- Complies with all New England Baptist Hospital policies and the Code of Excellence. Maintains a safe and clean work environment.
- Answer all incoming lines on switchboard console and connect to appropriate extension in an efficient and courteous manner using proper phraseology, following prescribed guidelines
- To answer the phone in a polite and professional manner. Listen to call and respond in a warm, friendly and courteous manner. Tone of voice must be of professional quality
- Every call should begin with the proper phraseology and end with the callers needs being met.
- Operators are expected to be familiar with names, extension numbers, ID numbers and terminology which pertain to specific shift
- Pages must be complete : full name and number-
- Name and call back number on all “meet me” calls
- Check queue and the activity of the other operators in the room before making yourself unavailable for any reason.
- Operator is to be at position at least 5 minutes before you are due to sign in.
- Breaks are taken when assigned unless there is a shortage of operators or heavy call traffic that requires a change by the supervisor or senior operator
- Refer difficult callers to the supervisor or senior operator.
- Respond to code calls quickly, efficiently, and accurately. Following procedure.
- Take answering service and doctor coverage accurately
- Answering service responsibilities
- Take office instructions correctly and document on system accurately
- Screen calls according to individual office instructions and perform the appropriate action
- Take messages for or page the appropriate doctor or person including the name of the caller, the reason for the call and a return number
- Must interact well with other operators including passing along and picking up general messages when leaving or returning to position.
- Responsible for operational functions which may vary per shift:
- Record repair requests and notifies appropriate service personnel.
- Plans time away from work appropriately:
- Arrives and leaves at designated times.
- Perform other duties during down times