Category: Surgical Tech
Department: Surgicare-Dedham - 860000
Position Type: Flex
Shift: Day Shift
Hours Per Week: Full time 30-40 hours per week FLEX
Position Summary: Surgical technologists are allied health professionals, who are an integral part of the team of medical practitioners providing surgical care to patients. Surgical technologists work under the supervision of an RN or surgeon to facilitate the safe and effective conduct of invasive surgical procedures, ensuring that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly, and that the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety. Surgical technologists possess expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique and combine the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation tools and technologies to facilitate a physician's performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures. •Preoperative case management includes duties such as preparing the OR, gathering the necessary tools and supplies, counting out the necessary items, and assisting the surgical team as they enter into the sterile field. •During the intraoperative phase, the surgical tech passes instruments and equipment to the surgeon as needed, takes care of specimens, prepares medication and assists with dressings. •Postoperative management involves maintaining the sterile field until the patient is transported, removing used instruments, caring for and maintaining the equipment, and preparing the OR for the next patient. •In the ASC the surgical technologist may also assist the Materials Manager in the maintenance of the supply inventory.
Principle Duties and Essential Functions:
1. Able to assist RN as directed with physician orders according to patient needs.
2. Demonstrates solid communication skills.
3. Gathers needed procedure appropriate supplies for each surgery.
4. Updates surgeon preference cards as needed.
5. Reports missing or malfunctioning equipment to the RN in a timely manner.
6. Competent in the use of equipment required to perform job in a safe, efficient manner.
7. Assists the RN in facilitating speed and efficiency with room set up and turnover time. Responsibilities include:
- Performs sharp, instrument and sponge counts with the RN according to policy.
- Disposes of sharps and hazardous materials according to policy. Utilizes PPE.
- Cleans OR with appropriate disinfecting agents. d. Washes and reprocesses instrumentation according to established standards and ASC policy.
8. Demonstrates competency to practice independently in the scrub role in a variety of surgical specialties. Responsibilities include:
- Opens surgical supplies, sets up sterile field, maintains sterile field using aseptic technique. Identifies any break in sterile technique.
- Accurately labels on medication on the sterile field. Accounts for and verifies amounts, reporting totals to both the surgeon and the RN circulator.
- Maintains knowledge of commonly used local anesthetics, antibiotics, and topical hemostats.
- Obtains appropriate syringes and needles for use.
- Anticipates the surgeons needs and requests appropriate supplies prior to their immediate need in order to expedite the procedure.
9. Organizes storage area for instruments and supplies under the direction of the Materials.Manager. Demonstrates cost containment in the use of equipment and supplies.
10. Professional Expectations:
- Maintains a collaborative work relationship with peers and colleagues in order to create a positive and professional work environment.
- Seeks out and utilizes resources to keep current in surgical technologist trends and practice.
- Participates in the development and implementation of ASC policies and OR standards of care.
- Seeks assistance from other resource persons to improve skills, knowledge and practice at ASC.
- Assists in orientation of new employees.
- Takes initiative to share knowledge and skills willingly with colleagues, students and novice practitioners in a collegial manner
- Provides leadership as a resource person, willingly providing information to improve patient care at ASC.
- Identifies process improvement opportunities and takes personal accountability for patient safety.
- Ensures proper identification of patient when providing care in accordance with NEBH identification policies and procedures. j. Performs services in compliance with established practice standards, policies, procedures, protocols, guidelines, statutes and regulations (example: JCAHO, Fire Code, OSHA)
- Adheres to infection control standards including, but not limited to hand hygiene, room assignment, isolation precautions, aseptic/sterile techniques, and universal standard precautions. Cleans equipment in accordance with NEBH and departmental policies, procedures and standards.
- Utilizes and adheres to proper procedures for handling and disposing of bio-hazardous materials.
- Participates in hospital and/or unit based patient safety and quality activities and uses principles to support and improve patient outcomes and efficiencies.
- Participates in staff meetings and in-services, accurately maintaining education file.
- Maintains required certifications and competencies without reminder.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and privacy.
Education: High School Graduate or Equivalent Required. Non-degree Certificate Training Required. Licensure/Certification/Registration Certified Surgical Technologist Certification/Registration Required. Required Work Experience minimum of 1 year required surg tech work experience.