Department: Security - 807900
Position Type: Regular
Shift: Night Shift
Hours Per Week: Full time 40 hours per week
Location: New England Baptist Hospital, 125 Parker Hill Ave, Boston, MA 02120
Protects life and property of all persons on Hospital premises and patrols Hospital buildings and grounds to prevent fire, theft, and vandalism. Secures, unlocks, and protects Hospital buildings. Responds to the security needs of Hospital personnel. Offers assistance whenever possible in accordance with Hospital policies and procedures.
Principal Duties and Essential Functions:
- Understands and adheres to NEBH policies and compliance standards as they appear in the NEBH Organizational Policies and Procedures, including but not limited to the NEBH Compliance Policy, Code of Business Conduct, and Attendance policies.
- Provides safety and security for patients, guests, staff and students
- Provides a visible deterrence to crime and prohibited activities by patrolling the building and grounds of the Hospital.
- Responds quickly and effectively to emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Ensures only authorized personnel are admitted onto Hospital premises.
- Escorts visitors, patients, and personnel to and from parking areas upon request.
- Issues hospital keys to authorized hospital personnel.
- Conducts preliminary investigates into incidents of unusual circumstances or potential misconduct as reported by Hospital personnel, visitors, physicians or patients.
- Writes accurate, clear, and legible incident reports as required by the end of each shift in the department’s report system and documents investigative steps and results.
- Monitors and reports all cases and incidents of a hazardous safety nature, including hospital equipment and systems.
- Enforces all Hospital policies and procedures in order to maintain a safe and secure environment.
- Monitors the Hospital using electronic security equipment (security cameras, access control system, alarm systems, etc.).
- Knowledgeable and proficient in the use of all command center equipment, manuals, and procedures, including but not limited to hospital’s fire alarm, two-way radio, and computer aided dispatch (CAD) systems.
- Strong ability to multitask; ability to answer multiple incoming phone lines, prioritizing calls for assistance, and entering calls into the department’s CAD system
- Utilizes radio procedure in an audible, clearly articulated and professional manner, adhering to departmental rules and regulations.
- Handles telephone information with courtesy, accuracy, and respect. Receives information and distributes messages as necessary.
- Observes the Security Department uniform dress code and visibly wears identification badge at all times.
- Responds to emergency calls for assistance to control disorderly conduct or combative patients, and assists nursing staff with application of physical and/or chemical restraints.
- Demonstrates exemplary customer service and communication skills; must be able to handle complex interpersonal situations and crisis management scenarios.
- Exhibits a positive attitude when dealing with others. Demonstrates a good rapport and cooperative working relationship with all members of the department.
- Is flexible and willing to adjust schedule to meet the needs of the department.
- Possess good work habits and diligently maintains his/her post throughout the assigned shift.
- Directs traffic on or about grounds when necessary; this may include assisting and monitoring visitors, guests, and patients in the parking lots and exterior perimeter of the hospital.
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality at all times, including adhering to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) privacy regulations.
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
Minimum of a high school diploma or GED required. A strong educational background (Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree) in criminal justice or related field is preferred. A combination of both experience and education will be considered.
Valid MA Driver’s License and clean driving record required.
Two years of Security experience with prior hospital experience preferred.
Must obtain and maintain the following required certifications (training provided by Department):
AVADE/HDTS De-Escalation Training
International Association of Healthcare Safety and Security (IAHSS) – Basic Officer Certification (must obtain within first 6 months of employment if not already certified)
Must be able to pass hospital pre-employment medical, drug and tobacco-free screenings