Registered Nurse, Per Diem, Rotating
Department: Jenks 4 West (Warren) - 603600
Position Type: Per Diem
Shift: Rotating Shift
Hours Per Week: Per Diem
FT/PT/PD: Per Diem
Assures competent, compassionate and individualized nursing care for a group of patients within a unit or other primary area of practice. Ensures that care is safe, efficient, effective, timely, and meets the cultural, spiritual, and ethnic needs of patients and their families consistent with NEBH's mission and core values. Collaborates with other members of the patient care team to plan and coordinate patient care goals and achieve optimal patient outcomes. Recognizes patient care needs and works to establish a comprehensive plan of care. Responsible for maintaining patient confidentiality and privacy, ensuring compliance with HIPAA and NEBH standards, policies and procedures.
Consistently meets the NEBH Clinical Nursing I and Clinical Nursing II Competencies.
Principal Duties and Essential Functions:
- Provides direct care to patients and makes necessary nursing judgments to ensure all patient populations are appropriately cared for
- Designs and implements individualized patient care plans reflective of current nursing practice standards, policies, procedures, protocols and guidelines.
- Demonstrates professional commitment and takes personal responsibility for ensuring patient safety.
- Ensures proper identification of patient when providing care in accordance with NEBH identification policies and procedures
- Administers medications to patients in accordance with NEBH policies and procedures. Assesses/monitors and documents patient response to medication dosages and therapies, and provides intervention as needed
- Obtains orders specimens for diagnostic testing ensuring correct labeling of specimens in accordance with patient identification policies and procedures
- Documents and updates the patient medical records in accordance with NEBH and department-specific policies and procedures
- Provides pain management ensuring that patient pain is assessed, managed, and documented
- Admits, transfers, and discharges patients. Coordinates with ancillary departments and needed. Completes and confirms patient admission history using paper and/or electronic medical records.
- Communicates and collaborates with the patient care team and serves as the patient's advocate when appropriate
- Effectively delegates appropriate patient care activities to other members of the patient care team with appropriate knowledge and skill levels.
- Follows patient care pan, updating and documenting changes as they may occur
- Adheres to infection control standards including, but not limited to hand hygiene, room assignment, isolation precautions, aseptic/sterile techniques, and universal standard precautions. Cleans equipment in accordance with NEBH and departmental policies, procedures and standards.
- Utilizes and adheres to proper procedures for handling and disposing of bio-hazardous materials
- Informs and educates patient of expected outcomes before, during, and after medical procedures
- Explains patient privacy requirements to patient, families and visitors and maintains patient privacy ensuring compliance with HIPAA and NEBH standards, policies and procedures.
- Maintains all mandatory education requirements, professional licensure and any required certifications
- Identifies emergency/crisis situations; communicates such in a timely manner to appropriate patient care team members and responds appropriately
- Performs services in compliance with established practice standards, policies, procedures, protocols, guidelines, statutes and regulations (example: JCAHO, Fire Code, OSHA)
- Participates in ongoing educational and professional development activities to enhance clinical knowledge and update requisite skills
- Participates in hospital and/or unit-based patient safety and quality activities and uses principles to support and improve patient outcomes
- Maintains a collaborative work relationship with peers and colleagues in order to create a positive and professional work environment
- Takes initiative to share knowledge and skills willingly with colleagues, students and novice practitioners in a collegial manner
RN MA License Required. Basic Life Support Certification and ACLS Required.
Required Work Experience:
2-3 years of med/surg acute care experience.