Patient Coordinator I
Department: Centralized Scheduling - 825000
Position Type: Sourcing
Shift: Day Shift
Hours Per Week: Full time 40 hours per week
Location: New England Baptist Hospital, 125 Parker Hill Ave, Boston, MA 02120
The Patient Coordinator-I is responsible for, but not limited to scheduling, patient visit coordination tasks, pre-registration and efficiency across all NEBH locations. The representative will be responsible for daily schedule management for the area they are working in. The Patient Coordinator may be asked to assist co-workers in the department at the Boston, Dedham or Chestnut hill location.
1. Scheduling /Pre-registration
- Responsible for scheduling outpatient appointments for the assigned department according to scheduling protocol.
- Communicates clearly and appropriately with patients, while demonstrating respect, courtesy, and sensitivity.
- Pre-registration: Responsible for pre-registration of patients, patient interviews, and updating the hospital computer system with accurate information. Interviews patients by phone to obtain all required information for hospital records and billing system. Pre-registers all patients at the time of scheduling according to department policies.
- Answering telephones/voicemail, scheduling, changing, and canceling appointments in a professional and timely manner (Under supervision and guidance)
2. Patient Management
- Performs functions including various modes of communication and responding to patient, physician offices, insurance companies and other NEBH departments.
- Follows HIPAA guidelines while maintaining confidentiality of all protected health information.
- Resolving patient concerns if possible, minimizing hold time and escalates issues to management as needed. (Under supervision and guidance)
- Liaison between the department and other offices, departments
- Process inbound faxes according to department protocol.
- Responsible for document scanning as needed
- Work cooperatively with fellow employees to solve problems and help make the department function smooth and efficiently
Help cover coworkers for time off
- Performs other department job duties as needed to promote excellent patient experience and clinic efficiency.
- Assists other Administrative staff with duties
6. Radiology specific duties:
- Index and reviews all faxed orders and clinical documentation prior to submitting to Verata for prior authorization.
- Participates in the outsourced prior authorization process for any upcoming procedures requiring authorization. Verifies insurance coverage and clinical documentation is in place prior to submitting for an authorization to Verata. (Under supervision and guidance)
- Monitors resource schedule to ensure complete/correct physician orders are obtained, checks for any missing orders
- Prepare reports for distribution, as needed
- Prepare appropriate CD’s for patients when requested
- Obtain appropriated release forms.
7. Spine Center specific duties:
- Preparing admission paperwork for the next business day
- Schedule/Fax testing and procedures for patients as necessary.
- Answers department phone lines, triaging calls as appropriate, taking messages in eCW and assigning messages in eCW to the appropriate provider or team member