Patient Access Representative, 40 hours, 8:00am -4:30pm, Dedham
Department: Patient Access - 824000
Position Type: Regular
Shift: Day Shift
Hours Per Week: Full time 40 hours per week
GENERAL SUMMARY: Schedule, process and register patients to the hospital according to department policies and procedures.
1. Responsible for the reception of patients and public:
- Greet patients in a warm ,welcoming manner
- Supports day to day front desk operations
- Answer telephones and assists callers
- Collects co-pays
- Assists with office correspondence and fax inboxes.
2. Registration /Check –In
- Responsible for the efficient registration process of all patients in various computer system (Soarian Financials , ECW, Systoc etc.)
- Responsible for the registration of patients and updating the hospital computer system with accurate information. Interviews patients to obtain all required information for hospital records and billing system.
- Screen all registrations for compliance with appropriate utilization of services and compliance with Federal, State and third party mandates for managed care.
- Obtains necessary signatures, scans insurance cards and photo ID’s into the electronic health record
- Informs patients about financial obligations (Co-pay) and collects the copays
- Verifies patient’s insurance eligibility. Ensures that all necessary referrals/authorizations are in place.
- Ensures that all patients receive information regarding their rights as a patient (verbal and written).
3. Administrative support functions:
- Chart prep
- Charge entry
- Helps prepare next day paperwork and schedules
- Schedules/ Reschedules/Cancels patient appointments upon request following all associated policies and procedures
- Makes confirmation calls for future appointments
4. Prior Authorization :
- Obtains prior authorization for Physical Therapy in a timely manner
- Submits request for PT extension s in a timely fashion
- Maintains effective communication with patients and colleagues while demonstrating respect, courtesy, and sensitivity. Complies with hospital and department Standards of Excellence for patient satisfaction are upheld.
- Performs other functions as needed, including various modes of communication and responding to patient, physician office, and insurance companies
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- High School graduate, two years post High School strong customer service experience.
Two years related experience required. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.Typing, word processing and computer skills.Medical terminology.
EMR strongly preferred
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Ability to proofread documents and check for accuracy
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY:
Reports to the Manager of Patient Access