Department: Surgicare-Dedham - 860000
Position Type: Flex
Shift: Day Shift
Hours Per Week: Part time 20 hours per week
The Registered Nurse of the Operating Room is knowledgeable in the theory and principles of perioperative nursing. He/she is responsible for directing the nursing care of the patient within the operating room suite and is responsible for directing the tasks non-professional care givers. Ensures that care is safe, efficient, effective, timely, and meets the cultural, spiritual and ethnic needs of patients and their families consistent with NEBH's mission and core values. The Registered Nurse in the OR is directly responsible to the Clinical manager but may be supervised by the Resource Nurse. Works collaboratively with the care giving team. Delegates tasks to non-professional staff.
Principal Duties and Essential Functions:
- The perioperative Registered Nurse is responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties: Assesses the needs of the patient and establishes a plan for care. Implements that plan to provide for the patient.
- Reviews with Pre-op RN the preoperative checklist ensuring all requirements are met before escorting patients to OR.
- Coordinates care of the patient with the surgeon, anesthesiologist and other personnel as required.
- Performs duties of the circulating nurse as follows:
- Acts as a patient advocate and ability to individualize care based on patient assessment.
- Supervises non-professional staff in OR.
- Assists surgeon(s) and anesthesiologist as needed.
- Completes all necessary documentation accurately.
- Assures a safe environment for the patient; maintaining a sterile field, providing supplies and equipment, monitors the environment.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and privacy.
- Performs other duties as needed (i.e stocking, room turnover, assisting in preop or PACU).
- Responsible for maintaining accurate, up-to-date education file and any required licenses, certifications without reminder.
- Attends and participates in staff meeting and in-services.
- Professional Expectations:
- Behaves in a positive and cooperative manner.
- Seeks out and utilizes resources to keep current in nursing trends and practice
- Participates in the development and implementation of ASC policies and OR standards of care.
- Seeks assistance from other resource persons to improve skills, knowledge and practice at ASC.
- Assists in orientation of new employees.
- Provides leadership as a resource person, willingly providing information to improve patient care at ASC.
- Identifies process improvement opportunities and takes personal accountability for patient safety.
- Ensures proper identification of patient when providing care in accordance with NEBH identification policies and procedures.
- Documents and updates the patient medical records in accordance with NEBH and department specific policies and procedures.
- Performs services in compliance with established practice standards, policies, procedures, protocols, guidelines, statutes and regulations. (example: JCAHO, Fire Code, OSHA)
- Adheres to infection control standards including, but not limited to hand hygiene, room assignment, isolation precautions, aseptic/sterile techniques, and universal standard precautions.
- Cleans equipment in accordance with NEBH and departmental policies, procedures and standards.
- Utilizes and adheres to proper procedures for handling and disposing of bio-hazardous materials.
- Participates in hospital and/or unit based patient safety and quality activities and uses principles to support and improve patient outcomes and efficiencies.
- Maintains a collaborative work relationship with peers and colleagues in order to create a positive and professional work environment. Takes initiative to share knowledge and skills willingly with colleagues, students and novice practitioners in a collegial manner.
Associate's Degree Required. Bachelor's Degree Preferred. MA RN license required. CNOR/ASPAN Preferred. Basic Life Support Certification Required.
Required Work Experience:
A minimum of one year scrub and circulating RN experience required. Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced team environment required.
*Motivated individual with a positive attitude needed for busy out patient surgery center. Experience with circulating orthopedic procedures required and scrubbing experience preferred. Rotating M-F based on volume.