Department: Dietary Administration - 805000
Position Type: Regular
Shift: Rotating Shift
Hours Per Week: Full time 40 hours per week
Location: New England Baptist Hospital, 125 Parker Hill Ave, Boston, MA 02120
Accurately and efficiently prepare, portion, grill, and present a variety of hot and/or cold food items for various meal periods: to include Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Special/Catered Events . The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, may identify other responsibilities of the position.
• Prepares, seasons and cooks meats and vegetables using skill in frying, grilling and sautéing.
• Prepares, seasons and cooks starches, vegetables and other side hot food items.
• Performs food preparation work for cooking, including seasoning.
• Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipe.
• Deep fries, grills and sautés meats, fish, vegetables and other foods. Observes and tests foods being cooked by tasting, smelling and piercing.
• Portions food on serving plates.
• May add gravies, sauces and garnishes to servings.
• May select recipes per menu cycle, prepare bakery items, receive inventory, move and lift foodstuffs and supplies and prepare meals for customers requiring special diets.
• May clean and sanitize work stations and equipment and must follow all regulatory rules and procedures.
• Responsible for following food safety and physical safety policies at all times, while utilizing personal protective equipment (PPE) when required by management.
• Complies with all HACCP policies and procedures.
• Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
• Complies with the hospital safety and risk management policies and procedures.
• Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
• Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
• May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• High School diploma, GED or equivalent.
• 1 to 2 years of cooking experience upto & including baking, roasting, saute & grille expereince preferred.
• Knowledge of basic operation of equipment
• Applies basic skills and may develop skills appropriate for the position.
• Focuses primarily on own area of specialty.
• Good working knowledge of food preparation & presentation.
• Requires familiarity of kitchen equipment.
• Must be able to read and follow a recipe unsupervised
• Ability to work under pressure in fast paced environment
• Must be organized and a problem solver
• Some heavy lifting required
Certifications: Food Safety Certification required/
• Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
• Maturity of judgment and behavior.
• Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance.
• Maintains a positive attitude.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule required.
• Must comply with any dress code requirements.
• Must be able to work early mornings, nights, weekends and some holidays.
• Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity.
• Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
• Significant walking or other means of mobility.
• Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
• Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
Working Conditions (may add additional conditions specific to defined work location):
• Generally in an indoor setting; however, may supervise outside activities and events.
• Schedule to include early mornings, evenings, holidays, weekends and extended hours as business dictates. Typical schdule 11:00AM - 7:30PM (with coverage including 4:00AM to 12:30PM)
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily in a controlled, temperate environment; however, may be exposed to heat/cold during support of outside activities.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.